There are a number of community events coming up in celebration on Christmas which can sometimes be overwhelming. Our team have come up a list with some tips that can help you best prepare yourself and your child:
- Informal visits – for example, walk past Santa photos prior to the day of your appointment or drive past the Christmas light display before visiting.
- Use a social story to prepare for events like Santa photos. Link to a social story: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gvl7YVmFAZtJeFtXNBFYdn_VyR8Fceed/view
- If you don’t have a social story, use photos to talk about what to expect at the event. Event pages may have photos or videos from previous years that you can use.
- Ensure to pack your child’s sensory tools to bring with you to events i.e. weighted animal, noise cancelling headphones and chews. Even if you think you’re child may be fine, it is nest to be prepared.
- Take a choice board with you with pictures of useful sensory strategies so your child can use this when needed (include – take a break visual).
- When attending events, bring your child’s communication tools (e.g. visuals, first/then boards or AAC devices) to support them in the new environment.
- Respect the child’s choice to not want to engage with other people i.e. Santa, we can look from a distance.
- Call around to event organisers to request confirmation of how they are making the event more accessible to disabled children.
- Make a weekly/monthly calendar to countdown to major events e.g. holidays, carols, day to open presents
There are a number of local inclusive events coming up in December that we would love to see you at:
Mayor’s Christmas Party – Saturday 2nd December at Bella Vista Farm
This year at the Mayor’s Christmas Party the Fit Kidz Foundation is hosting a sensory break out tent which guests can access should they require.
Glenhaven Carol’s – Sunday 10th December at Glenhaven Oval
Join us at Glenhaven Carol’s as we host a sensory break out tent for those who require available throughout the night.
Fit Kidz Foundation Family Christmas Party – Wednesday 13th December at Crocs Rouse Hill
This year we are hosting our Exclusive Family Christmas Party at Crocs Rouse Hill. This event is exclusively for past and present families of the Fit Kidz Foundation. There will be plenty of activities for the kids, food and drinks, and a very special visit from Santa!
Sensitive Santa at Castle Towers
Sensitive Santa sessions are available to book at Castle Towers again this year. For the first time this year, they have an Auslan speaking Santa. All Sensitive and Auslan Santa sessions will be outside of trading hours. You can find more information on their website here: https://castletowers.qicre.com/Campaigns/2023/10/Christmas/Santa-Photos